The Call for Art for the 2021 Art on the Trails outdoor exhibition is open as of March 1, 2021. The exhibition will be installed in the Beals Preserve, Southborough, Massachusetts on Saturday, June 12 and Sunday June 13 and will remain in the Preserve until September 26, 2021. The juror is Sarah Montross, Senior Curator at deCordova Sculpture Park and Museum. Read more about Sarah.
2021 Theme: Mending
We invite artists to propose art projects that bring people together and heal. Like Kintsugi, the Japanese art of repairing broken pottery by joining the pieces with gold, and making the pottery stronger and more valuable in the process, artists are asked to consider how we can repair our fractured world through art and make our community and relationships stronger and more resilient.
Guidelines for Submissions
Please consider the following guidelines before submitting a proposal:
- Artists may submit existing work or a proposal for site-specific work.
- There are no buildings, walls, or electrical outlets in the Preserve. All work must be installed in the natural environment.
- Multiple entries are welcome and encouraged.
- You may identify a location for your work if you chose. The final siting of the work is at the discretion of the juror. View a map of Beals Preserve.
- Tours of the preserve are available upon request.
- Please indicate if work requires support or suspension in the landscape and your proposed method for achieving this. You may bring in structures or use trees as supports for your installation, as long as it does not harm them in any way. For instance, strapping around trunks or ropes around branches are acceptable. Nails into trees are not acceptable.
- All work will be considered based on quality of materials and ability to implement proposed work.
- This is a Leave No Trace exhibit; from installation to dismantling, nature must be left intact and all materials brought to the site must be removed at the end of the show. No exceptions.
- We actively promote works for sale if applicable. Should your work be sold, the artist agrees to donate 25% to Southborough Open Land Foundation.
- By submitting a proposal, artists acknowledge Southborough Open Land Foundation assumes no liability for artwork on the property during the exhibition.
- The selected artists will be notified by May 1, 2021 via email.
- All accepted artists will receive a $100 stipend for participating.
- Please contact Catherine Weber, firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions.