Artists and creative community members are encouraged to submit proposals of site-specific artwork for the 2019 Art on the Trails outdoor exhibition, Marking Territory. The exhibition will be installed in the Beals Preserve, Southborough, Massachusetts from June 12 – September 22, 2019. Please stay tuned for news about the 2019 art juror.
Theme: Marking Territory
Marking Territory explores the idea that both animals and humans have ways of creating boundaries in their environment in an attempt at creating a safe place. Mark making in art refers to the different lines, patterns, and textures we create in a piece of art. It applies to any art material on any surface, not only paint on canvas or pencil on paper. We invite artists to consider how one might mark the environment in a non-permanent way, as their own expression of boundaries.
Guidelines for Submissions
- Artists may submit existing work or a proposal for site-specific work.
- Multiple entries are welcome and encouraged.
- Artists are encouraged to visit Beals Preserve on their own prior to submitting OR request a private tour by emailing email@example.com.
- You may identify a location for your work if you choose. The final siting of the work is at the discretion of the juror. View a map of Beals Preserve.
- Please indicate if work requires support or suspension in the landscape and your proposed method for achieving this.
- All work will be considered based on quality of materials and ability to implement proposed work.
- This is a Leave No Trace exhibit; from installation to dismantling, nature must be left intact and all materials brought to the site must be removed at the end of the show.
- Work does not need to be for sale, however, SOLF requests a 25% donation on any works sold in the exhibit.
- By submitting a proposal, artists acknowledge Southborough Open Land Foundation assumes no liability for artwork on the property during the exhibition.
- The selected artists will be notified by May 10, 2019 via email.
- The art submission period is March 1 – April 22.
- Please contact Catherine Weber, firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions.
A link for submission will be on this page beginning on March 1, 2019.