Artists and creative community members are encouraged to submit proposals of site-specific artwork for the 2018 Art on the Trails outdoor exhibition, Unexpected Gestures. The exhibition, juried by Jean Mineo, former Director of Boston Sculpture Gallery, will be installed in the Beals Preserve, Southborough, Massachusetts from June 13 – September 23, 2018.
Theme: Unexpected Gestures
How does it feel to encounter art in an unexpected place? How does that gesture change the visitors’ experience of nature? Artists are encouraged to consider materials and methods that integrate with and contrast to the setting of woods, meadows, trails, and ponds that make up this special property. We are seeking work that interprets this theme for a natural environment in ways that will surprise and delight the hundreds of visitors at Beals Preserve for four months in 2018.
Guidelines for Submissions
- Artists may submit existing work or a proposal for site-specific work.
- Multiple entries are welcome and encouraged.
- Artists are encouraged to visit Beals Preserve on their own prior to submitting OR request a private tour by emailing email@example.com.
- You may identify a location for your work if you choose. The final siting of the work is at the discretion of the juror. View a map of Beals Preserve.
- Please indicate if work requires support or suspension in the landscape and your proposed method for achieving this.
- All work will be considered based on quality of materials and ability to implement proposed work.
- This is a Leave No Trace exhibit; from installation to dismantling, nature must be left intact and all materials brought to the site must be removed at the end of the show.
- Work does not need to be for sale, however, SOLF requests a 25% donation on any works sold in the exhibit.
- By submitting a proposal, artists acknowledge Southborough Open Land Foundation assumes no liability for artwork on the property during the exhibition.
- The selected artists will be notified by May 10, 2018 via email.
- The art submission period is March 22 – April 22.
- Please contact Catherine Weber, firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions.